This cookie reminds me of when I was little and my dad would bring me home a sprinkled cookie from the bakery. I always love these cookies because they were so buttery, crunchy and sweet. I was craving this type cookie this past week so decided to make them one afternoon with my daughter. I think that most of the leftover sprinkles wound up more in her mouth than on the cookie but who can blame her? I had her sprinkle the cookies with the sprinkles and “mush” them gently into the cookie. I got the original recipe here at allrecipes.com which I pretty much followed with a few modifications. Here is how I made it:
1 cup of unsalted butter (softened)
1 to 1 1/4 cup sugar
3 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of cream of tartar
2. Cream together sugar and butter. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla.
3. Add flour, baking soda, and cream of tartar and gently stir. I used my hands which are your best tool!
4. Form dough into balls the size of a munchkin (I like my cookies a little larger). Gently push down the cookie and sprinkle the colored sprinkles on top. Gently push the sprinkles in the cookie. It took a few rounds of putting the sprinkles on because some would fall off.
5. Bake for 12-14 minutes until the cookies start to get some color.
6. Cool and eat! This recipe makes approximately 15 larger cookies (depending on how big and small you make them)